One of the best cat trees for large cats
Do you have a large cat who topples ordinary cat trees? Is he too big to fit comfortably in most cat trees or is he in danger of knocking them over when he leaps on them? Many people today do have very big cats. Fortunately, there are some companies that make cat trees that are especially designed for large cats. We can guide you in your search for the best cat trees for big cats. Here’s what you need to know!
Why does your cat need a cat tree?
Outdoors, cats can get plenty of exercise. They can have time alone when they want it. They have no trouble sharpening their claws on trees or logs. They can play, climb, hide and do whatever they feel like doing. Most pet cats today live indoors. That means that it’s up to you to provide all of these opportunities for your cat. Your cat needs an environment where he can still play and have some privacy. He needs to be able to scratch, climb, hide and so on. A good cat tree with multiple features is one of the best ways to provide these opportunities for your cat indoors.
What to look for in a large cat tree
Cat trees for large cats generally need the same features as regular cat trees – with some extras. Here’s what to look for when choosing the best cat trees for large cats.
- Make sure the cat tree is sturdy. It should not wobble or your large cat may feel insecure. If your cat doesn’t feel secure he might stop using the tree. The cat tree should have a good, solid base and be made of good materials.
- Make sure the perches are big enough to support your cat. Large cats are often too big to fit on the perches and in the hammocks that come with regular cat trees. A good large cat tree should have perches and hammocks that are big enough to accommodate your cat and make him feel secure. Remember, if you have multiple cats, you should look for a large cat tree with multiple perches and hammocks.
- Consider the height of the tree. A cat tree for large cats should be large enough to make your cat happy but if it’s too tall it could overpower your room. Most people don’t really want a cat tree that looms over the entire room.
- If you plan to include a kitty condo with the cat tree, make sure that it’s large enough for your large cat. Many cat condos are made for small and medium-sized cats or even kittens. Large cats can’t fit in them comfortably. Cats love to nap and hide in condos so make sure your big cat will be able to use the condo.
- If you want to include other features with your cat tree, make sure they are large enough for your big cat. These features can include baskets and ladders, along with hammocks (see above) and other extras. If they aren’t big enough for your cat, chances are that your cat won’t use them or they will quickly be broken.
- Scratching posts are another feature that are usually a part of a cat tree. For large cats, make sure the scratching post or ramp is sturdy so it will hold up to serious scratching. Sisal makes a good covering. Carpet is sometimes used but after a cat scratches it for a while it may need to be replaced.
One of the best cat trees for large cats
One of the best cat trees for large cats available today is the Songmics Cat Tree. Songmics makes several good cat trees. We especially like the feandrea 67″ Multi-Level Cat Tree with Sisal-Covered Scratcher Slope, Scratching Posts, Plush Perches and Condo, Activity Centre Cat Tower Furniture.
This Songmics cat tree for large cats meets all of the criteria a cat tree for large cats should have. It’s stable – constructed with CARB-certified natural particle boards and strengthened with battens at the bottom to ensure overall stability. It also has anti-toppling fittings for extra security. The multi-layered playhouse has two spacious condos so there is lots of room for your large at to nap and hide when he feels like it. This cat tree also has three extra thick, soft plush perches with raised edges so your cat can rest his head or watch over the room from up above. There’s also a sisal-covered ramp (“slope”) for your cat to run, play, and scratch. This cat tree also has multiple sisal-covered reinforced scratching posts that your cat will LOVE to scratch. Great for your cat to sharpen his claws, stretch, and exercise.
This luxury multi-level Songmics cat tree is perfect for large cats and cats that love to jump and climb. It’s luxurious and provides the space and security your big cat will love. This cat tree is virtually a play center for your cat! Comes in dark grey; or, for just a few dollars more, comes in light grey. Size and dimensions: 23.6 x 21.6 x 67 inches; weighs 60 pounds.
Comes with a 30-month warranty. Satisfaction is 100 percent guaranteed.
You can keep your cat happy by supplying a good cat tree. If you have a large cat, you know that you have to take special care when choosing one. A large cat can knock over an ordinary cat tree. Sometimes the perches, hammocks, and condos that come with cat trees are too small for large cats. The best cat trees for large cats should be stable, made from sturdy materials, and include perches and condos that are large enough for your large cat. One of the cat trees that we especially like is the Songmics Cat Tree feandrea 67″ Multi-Level Cat Tree with Sisal-Covered Scratcher Slope, Scratching Posts, Plush Perches and Condo, Activity Centre Cat Tower Furniture : Buy It Now. It has all of the features that large cats need. Your big cat should love it!