Best Litter Box for Multiple Cats 2021
Many of us are such huge cat lovers that one cat just isn’t enough! You know what that means. We need multiple litter boxes! The general rule of thumb is to have at least one litter box per cat in your home plus an extra box. Of course, you have to fill those litter boxes with the best cat litter for multiple cats. Luckily, there are some very good cat litter boxes and cat litters that will meet the needs of your cats. Here are our top choices for the best cat litter boxes for multiple cats.
The 5 Best Litter Boxes for Multiple Cats 2021
|Top Rated Picks||Name||Editors' Rating|
|Nature's Miracle High-Sided Litter Box||5.0|
|IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box||4.9|
|Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan||4.9|
|New Age Pet ecoFlex Litter Loo, Litter Box Cover/End Table||4.8|
|PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box||4.7|
Best litter boxes for multiple cats
#1. Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box, 23 x 18.5 x 11 inches
Our top pick for the best cat litter box for multiple cats is Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box. This box has very high sides to keep your cat from scattering litter everywhere. It’s easy to spot clean and care for. This litter box has a non-stick surface that is especially easy for full cleaning. It’s 22.8 x 17.8 inches in size (larger at the top than at the bottom) so it’s large enough for even the biggest cats to get in and out. The box also has antimicrobial protection to discourage the spread of germs. Made by Nature’s Miracle which has been making quality pet products for more than 35 years. This is a great box for cats that kick a lot of litter when they potty. This litter box is perfect for using some of the best dust free cat litters.Buy It Now on Amazon
#2. IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter BoxBuy It Now on Amazon
Another litter box we like is the IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box. This litter box is unique and offers your cat a great deal of privacy. It’s another best cat litter box for multiple cats. The original design allows your cat to climb inside from the top so she can’t scatter any litter. The grooves on the top lid act as a mat when your cat hops out, shaking off any litter on your cat’s paws. Dogs cannot nose into the box. The corners are rounded for easy cleaning. The box also stays in place with non-skid rubber feet. It is BPA-free. Entire Dimensions: 20.47″L x 16.14″W x 14.56″H. Inside Dimensions: (Widest point) 20.0″L x 16.0″W x 14.0″H (Bottom narrowest point) 17.5″L x 13.5″W. A scoop is included and the box has a hook for the scoop. Works great with the best dust free cat litters.
#3. Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan – Warm Gray
Last but not least if you’re looking for the best litter box for multiple cats, the Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan is a great choice, providing your cats with lots of privacy and space when they potty. The hooded cat pan is easy to assemble and simple to clean with mild soap and water. The large hood lifts up to give you access to the pan for cleaning. There is also a carbon filter that works to remove offensive odors. The jumbo size makes it perfect for multiple cat homes. The door opening measures 10.4 inches by 9.6 inches. Fully assembled it measures 22″L x 20″W x 18″H. The Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan comes with a free sample of the Magic Blue Litter Box Filter (you can purchase refills on Amazon).Buy It Now on Amazon
What to look for in the best litter box for multiple cats
The litter box situation can be complex in a home with multiple cats. Cats often prefer to have their own box as a way of claiming their “territory.” Other cats might not mind sharing a box. But it’s best to provide multiple boxes to avoid any problems.
There are some special things to look for when choosing a litter box for a multiple cat home.
- Choose a durable litter box. A litter box in a multi-cat home will likely get plenty of use. All of your cats might decide the use the same box for a few days (don’t ask why). Just regular use of the box by an adult cat means the box needs to be sturdy.
- Choose a box that’s easy to clean. Litter box odor is always more noticeable if you have multiple cats so you will need to replace litter and clean the box more frequently than if you have just one cat and one box. Having a litter box that’s easy to clean makes these jobs a little easier. Besides, keeping your cat’s litter box clean helps encourage him to use the box instead of having “accidents” somewhere in the house.
- Look for larger litter boxes. Cats prefer larger boxes; it’s easier to pick up waste in these boxes; and if more than one cat uses the box, it won’t be such an immediate problem in terms of odor.
- Look for litter boxes with odor control such as antimicrobial protection and carbon filters. These features can go a long way to helping your home smell better when you have multiple cats.
- Consider the dynamics in your home before choosing a litter box. Some cats prefer a closed litter box for privacy while others prefer an open box. If you have a cat or cats that like to ambush one of your cats while they are in the litter box, an open litter box might be best so the cat can see all around. Since you will need more than one litter box for multiple cats, you can provide your cats with both open and closed litter boxes so they have a choice.
- Consider what your cats prefer. This is probably the most important point of all. If your cat doesn’t like the litter box, she won’t use it. Then it won’t matter how much money you have spent or how wonderful the box is. It only takes one unhappy cat in your home to upset everyone.
When choosing the best litter box for multiple cats, consider your cats and how they get along with each other. Then you can choose litter boxes that will help keep your home clean and odor-free while meeting your cats’ needs.